Tuesday, May 26, 2015

M. Futterman Corp. in #Harlem has been in business for 110 years. I

M. Futterman Corp. in #Harlem has been in business for 110 years. It is a wholesale #candy, #tobacco, and paper goods family business, now being run by the third-generation owner, Bruce Futtterman. Bruce told us that the #handpainted #sign is from 1950 and that, "Most of our clients are bodega owners and movie theaters who buy in bulk."
We of course loved their signage with its "Optimo" #cigars signature #font. Photo is from 2007 and appears in our book, "Store Front: The Disappearing Face of New York" along with a full interview with Mr. Futterman. #storefront #disappearingfaceofnewyork #typography #gum #chocolate #food #cigarette #cigar #typevstime


2 comments:

  1. I remember Futterman's as a child living in Harlem. I used to buy blow pops in bulk from him when I was about 13yrs old.the store was on Madison Avenue. I lived on 117st btw park and Madison. I'm 65 years old now.

    ReplyDelete