Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Fares Deli Grocery located on Avenue A near Tompkins Square Park is no longer in business.

This was a typical #eastvillage neighborhood bodega which sold a wide variety of food and nonfood items. The word #bodega reflects its ethnic connection to Latino areas in New York City, where they are often the only food supply source because of the lack of local supermarkets. In this case, Fares was replaced by a more upscale neighborhood delicatessen. Photo from 2009 appears in our upcoming book due out November 2015, "STORE FRONT II - A History Preserved".


2 comments:

  1. I dread the day we are bodega free. Drugstores, chain groceries, soulless places that leave me feeling unfulfilled even when I buy something

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dread the day we are bodega free. Drugstores, chain groceries, soulless places that leave me feeling unfulfilled even when I buy something

    ReplyDelete